Monday, July 8, 2013

Wine Week at the Beach

Since I was in Delaware last week and I have an upcoming wine tasting the end of July, I thought I would try a bunch of California wines and do some pre-tasting.  I purchased 8 different California wines, mostly Cabernet, but did end up with a few others and was very disappointed.  I must have picked all the worst.  One bottle was so bad I poured it down the drain.  It tasted like grape juice.  YUK.

I will share with you the one I went back for.  It is called Lock & Key Meritage.  It is made by the Trinchero Family Estates and can be found at http://tfewines.com/our-wines/lock-and-key.php.

I did enjoy this wine.  Meritage is fast becoming the US version of Bordeaux.  This blend includes cabernet, merlot and cabernet franc.  It would be a great wine for dinner. 

The grapes are sourced from California's prestigious North Coast Appellation.  It has layered blackberry and plum flavors with hints of dark chocolate and tobacco spice.  I also found the finish to be nice, slightly silky.

The price point in Delaware was great too at $10.99 a bottle.  Overall, nicely balanced, fuller bodied, good fruit levels with the smoothness that comes with a blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment